Sunday, 5 June 2011

"Edward's Exploit"


I've had a lot of mail regarding the Bachmann Edward this last week. What to say, how to say it, how much he can or can't pull. Pretty much every single person who has written in has said the Bachmann Edward was weak.

My layout is on the level - this I check and adjust every single time I film a review. The engines are tested thoroughly prior to filming - none of the shots I use in the Haulage tests are of the tests themselves.

This is due in no small part to the amount of time I spend checking the coaches run properly, that the models are working within reasonable parameters, and that I'm confident I will get decent footage from a particular angle later.

Well, I have just finished testing the two Edward models in the haulage stakes. Bear in mind the Hornby Edward shares the same tender drive as the James model, and just like its red sibling, the Hornby Edward pulled the maximum number of coaches my layout (a standard trainset oval) can hold - 14 coaches.

This should be absolutely no surprise to anyone. Hornby tender drive locomotives are monstrous haulers, and supremely fast. An old 9F (severely battered) I picked up from a charity shop a few weeks back was found to be in terrific running order, and its old, but still serviceable tender has gone to powering my girlfriend's father's Britannia tender drive model.

I had no expectations of the Bachmann Edward, however, based on what I was being told. It has been described as a "poor runner", "poor hauler", "weak" and similar.

So I went in with no expectations, and - well, let's just say I was amazed. The Bachmann Edward seems to have been the victim of rumour. My example just kept piling the coaches on. It was by no means as powerful as the Hornby Edward, or its closest associate, the Bachmann James, but for its weight (nearly 2/3rds as light as the Bachmann James), and its wheelbase, I came away extremely impressed with the model.

You'll find out the results of the Edward VS Edward Review on the 20th June, but suffice to say - the exploits of the Bachmann Edward have to be seen to be believed.

Until next time!

7 comments:

  1. I don't know why people complained about Bachmann Edward's weight. I couple 3 Express coaches up to him and he pulls them with no trouble at all. James really struggles with them.

    But it's great to see the updates and the end result should be a great sight to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the Bachmann Percy, if you give the Bachmann Edward about two or three coaches or a decent sized freight train with 5-7 trucks and a brake van he pulls them really smoothly.

    Might be worth mentioning that in the review, like how you did with the Percy review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have Bachmann Edward, though I never put the amount of coaches on. But judging by the shape, I can predict it can be weak, but I'll see to you it on your video Simon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might be getting Bachmann Edward from my nearest Sears. Now that I have read about how weak and such it is, I know what to look out for! Thanks so much! Can't wait till the 20th now! And if you tske votes, I vote Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When is the review for the hornby vs bachmann Edward coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took your results of both engines and divided by the engines weight and this is my resulting numbers
    Brand. Weight Pulled =
    Hornby. 7 oz. 60oz. 8.5
    Bachmann 5 oz. 40oz. 8
    So Bachmann Edward really is only about a half oz. Weaker then Hornby Edward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But those figures are meaningless. The Hornby Edward clearly pulled a heavier weight by far, than the Bachmann Edward. If you reduced the two engines to roughly the same weight, the mechanism of the Hornby model would still have pulled a heavier load due to the way it is set up.

    The whole point of the Haulage Test is to show that the models with decent mechanisms will pull the heaviest loads. Nothing more, nothing less.

    ReplyDelete